Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Our garden is doing well despite the terrible heat. The squash are so tender and wonderful to cook with. Every Southern cook has their favorite recipe for a squash casserole. Here is mine!

Squash A’la bama

1 pound yellow squash
1/2 stick butter
1 egg
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 sleeve Ritz crackers rolled into crumbs


Clean, slice and boil squash until tender. Drain squash well and mix with other ingredients. Bake in a buttered casserole dish at 350° for 30 minutes.

4 comments:

Farming On Faith said...

Thank you~my squash are still in the bloom stage but I am going to copy this down! I can't wait to try it!
Have a wonderful day!
Blessings~
Carrie

Country Whispers said...

This sounds so good. I love squash but haven't had very good luck growing them. I'll have to get some and make this dish.

dee begg said...

Martha,

Sounds yummy and the squash look wonderful!

D

Anonymous said...

Hi Martha!!
I am having my Romantic Southern Belle Give-Away... Come on over......
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

p.s. As the guy says about the lottery.."Hey, Ya' never know. It could be you!"