Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Grandma's Vintage Kitchen

When I was a little girl, I loved to go visit my grandma and grandpa. They had all the things that my family didn't.... a chicken house, the best garden ever, and a huge kitchen where the most wonderful things to eat were created. There were things in that kitchen that I loved. Old kettles and pots, long handled spoons and balls of twine. I guess that is why I am fascinated with any vintage kitchen piece I can find to paint on.

This matchbox holder is a reminder of the one dear Grandma had hanging on the wall by her stove. One strike of a match and the king of the kitchen was fired up and ready to get to work.

Grandma also had a scale, similar to this one. She canned everything she could, always saying, "Won't this taste good this winter?" She used recipes that called for "5 pounds of apples" or, "3 pounds of Kentucky Wonder green beans." How I wish I could go back in time, drag that chair out from under the table and stand in it watching while Grandma worked her magic in that wonderful kitchen of my childhood.

6 comments:

blushing rose said...

Memories ... this takes me back to G'ma Maggie's kitchen filled with aromas of baking & canning, her firing up the wood stove with a strike of a match ........

TTFN ~Marydon

Lady Farmer said...

I was raised by my grandparents and I happen to think Grandma's are very special, too!
I hope my sweet grandbabies love me as much as I loved my grandma!
I love your paintings on such treasured items!
Blessings!

Country Whispers said...

As usual, I love them!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

So many wonderful things! You really have the artistic talent to make things look beautiful! Love the Fall colors you are using!

Farming On Faith said...

Just beautiful~
I too love old kitchen items. I had a Grandmother just like yours~she is dancing in Heaven this morning.Oh~how I miss her. I loved this post!
Have a blessed day~
Carrie~

Boo-Bah AKA Iris said...

You are truly blessed to have such a wonderful gift. I love every single thing you make.

I wasn't lucky enough to know my grandparents but I do have an Aunt that I have such fond memories of.
My Mama and my Aunt were wonderful cooks. I can remember Sundays dinner at my aunt's always included homemade biscuits and homemade jelly.

Iris