Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Primitive Angel Psaltery

As you have probably already read in my blog, I love to poke around in all my favorite antique stores and thrift shops for treasures to paint on --- the more unusual, the better. When I found this psaltery, I knew I had a jewel!

A psaltery is an instrument in the harp family. It is mentioned several times in the Bible and can be pictured in old manuscripts and woven tapestries. This particular style is called a "plucked psaltery" and has 2 octaves.

I antiqued and distressed it before painting a prim angel on back. Her wings are cut from an old hymnal page and antiqued. A rusty bell and rusty star are hanging from homespun tied to the top. Also attached is a laser cut wood key. This was a really fun project to paint... now I have to get busy and see what else I can find!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Martha.... That is an amazing history of the piece!!
You did a beautiful job (as usual)!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Jody said...

That is simply beautiful! You always find the neatest surfaces! Have a great day my friend!

Barbara Jean said...

That's a wonderful piece.
I would have hard time painting on those wonderful old treasures you find.
But, I guess i put bird nests in mind, so there you go. =0)

So appreciate your visits and encouraging words.

Blessings,
Barbara Jean

Oh, cleaning out the garage and found 2 old suitcases. Thought of you instantly. Also wished i had your talent and skill to paint them up like you do.

Tins and Treasures said...

This is a beautiful piece. I can't wait to see what you come up with next. Happy July ~Natalie

BrushedByAnAngel said...

I love your prims. Now I have to see if I can find those suitcases Barb mentioned. I just purchased nine vintage suitcases last week off Craig's List and hope to paint them myself.

Love your blog.

cottonreel said...

If you only learn one thing a day!
Now I know what a psaltery is, Thankyou Martha--cottonreel