Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Precious Memories Altered Book Box

The Old Farmhouse Gathering Team on Etsy is preparing for a Mother's Day Celebration and this is the first of my two entries. I love making assemblages in book boxes. This one has a page from an old "campground meeting" song book decoupaged on top of vintage style paper. Lots of other goodies include a baby shoe candle light, a little cameo, forget-me-nots, tea stained lace and antique buttons. I experimented with printing a vintage photography of two little children in a wagon onto osnaburg cloth and I love the way it turned out! This was a departure from the painting I have been doing and nice for a chance of pace. Sometimes going in a different direction is a good thing.

11 comments:

dee begg said...

Martha,

As usual, my friend, you amaze me! Very nice and what a special gift it would make for any mother.

D

Jody said...

Your altered art is always superior Martha....this would be a gift anyone would treasure!
Jody

Terry said...

Being a lover of books,all things vintage,and all church related items this is wonderful it's just the pink of perfection. Thank you for sharing it here.
Have a blessed week.

The Pink Birdhouse said...

How precious is that creation, I am not sure what part of it I like the best. The baby shoe light in so sweet, but those flowers really caught my eye! And the old photo of the children, it just fits right in with the rest of the theme. If this is a departure from your usual painted items, you have proved that you are very good at it!! Just darling. Debby

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful!! Your talent is amazing!
HAve a creative day!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous, Martha. How deep did you have to cut into the book? Lots of cutting! I haven't tried this yet. I bought a how-to altered book years ago and now can't find it!
I'd love to try. You did a beautiful job as always.
Diane

Apple Tree Cottage said...

XXXOOO to you, my friends! Thanks so much for your sweet, encouraging comments.

Diane, the book is a papier mache box that I bought at Michaels... so wonderful to work with. I have done several of these little assemblages --- everything from an Edgar Allen Poe book to Christmas. I just love playing with "stuff" and seeing how much I can put in one little space.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I would love to find a book to create something special, too. Thanks for the idea and inspiration. Love the little baby shoe! AHHhhh!!!

The Pink Birdhouse said...

Hi Martha, I have an award for you, I hope you will stop by my blog today! Cheers, Debby

Oakleaf Hollow Primitives said...

Love it! Well, I love ALL your gorgeous work! That little guitar is tooo sweet!! I haven't even started my Mother's Day items for OFG! Maybe today, I know I can count on your items to inspire me to get busy!!

Thanks!
julie

I Play Outside The Box said...

That is just gorgeous, Martha!!