Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Spring Challenge



Old Farmhouse Gathering on Etsy has issued two celebration challenges to be posted in the near future. One is for Spring and the other is for Easter. I love a challenge.... the chance to stretch my creative thinking is always a good way for me to "turn up the volume" as Ina Garten would say. I have completed two out of four projects that I have planned and I am pleased with the results so far. The first is a wonderful piece of vintage 1934 sheet music, "I believe in Miracles" that I have painted with an apple tree branch and a bird's nest. Just to guild the lily I added ephemera, wood buttons and and old key. After all, isn't the promise of Spring really a miracle?

The second piece is perhaps my favorite of all gourd pieces that I have created. This is a little peep all ready to celebrate the first day of spring. She has on a polka dot party hat and is carrying a little "chicken wire" basket filled with spring berries and eggs. She stands atop a bandbox that has been decoupaged with vintage sheet music and trimmed in robin's egg blue. Her wings and tail are cut from gourd pieces as is her beak. I love the quizzical look on her little tilted head. Is there anything sweeter than a little downey, yellow chick? Her papier mache cone party hat has a whimsical little medallion that says simply, "Bliss." Her momma has instructed her to stay inside the little picket fence until she is old enough to venture out on her own. I would say that is a wonderful idea! This little chick has been named KaDee for one my precious nieces.